Notifications
Clear all

Writer-Directors recasting actors

7 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
Topic starter
Trusted Member

Hey folks, I have been binging Mike Flanagan's works on Netflix. And, he recasts so many actors in his works, such as his amazing wife, Kate Siegal, Henry Thomas and Carla Gugino. Martin Scorsese does the same thing with Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert DeNiro. 

Why do you think Writer/Directors do this? Would you do this?

6 Replies
2 Replies

Reputable Member

I think as long as the actors are able to embody the rolls I’m totally fine with a director working with people who make the process easier and better. 🙂

Great question. I believe it's just like any job you want to work with the people you like, trust, and are talented!

Topic starter
Trusted Member

I agree about the trust, talent, and reliability. But, as an audience, I often have a harder time seeing the role versus seeing the actor.

Also, isn't it a good way to infuse your creativity to work with new actors? Or, with the density with which Flanagan and Scorsese work, maybe it is best to just use actors that know your process rather than breaking in new actors.

I mean, they are masters, at what they do.

3 Replies

Reputable Member

If the actor is good, the hope would be you stop seeing them and see the character they portray instead.

I know it can get to be a bit much if you see them over and over again. 

But for me, I swear, I really felt like Kate Siegel played such different parts in those shows I honestly didn’t recognize her at first.

Trusted Member

That’s 100% true for Usher. OMG. She was fantastic!

That's a really good point as well! Of course there are always actors out there who are essentially playing themselves in every part. So that doesn't help!

Share: