Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Jojo Rabbit - Script Study

14 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Admin
Topic starter

There is so much charm in the introduction of Jojo which is counterintuitive to the fact that he is an aspiring Hitler Youth. This tops it off as a button to the scene

What are your thoughts on the intro?

13 Replies
Trusted Member

Yes! I totally agree. I love how complex his character is being revealed to be and the overt visual cues to his relationship with his subordinate. Not everyone is as they seem to be, or act to be. Everyone is hiding something. As Elsa says, everyone is suspicious.

Trusted Member

I finished the script a few days ago and I watched the movie last night. Wow. Anyway, here is my question for today. What is the A story, B story, C story? If there is a C story. What do you think of all the story lines?

1 Reply

How did you feel about the movie having watched it after so many people told you not to? I am quite curious on your feedback. My son falls into this trap on youtube where they hate on every film and he doesnt want to see anything. I then take him to the film and make him watch it to prove to him that he needs to make up his own mind. Social Media really does feed on the negative. Now onto your brilliantly asked question.

Thematically this script is about revealing who you are to the world and not hiding it away.

A - Plot is Jojo really about this sweet boy Jojo discovering who he truly is. By living out this Nazi fantasy and then having to face the reality behind it in a coming-of-age story. 

B - Plot is the heart plot between him and his mother and then him and Elsa once his mother is hung in the town square. Devastating.

C - Plot is also with Elsa and her past which she now must hide from. Even though she is proud of being Jewish and this is shown through her fight with Jojo. I also believe Captain Kletzendorf comes into play during this plot as well. Showing how he is obviously a gay man trapped within the nazi party. This thematically coincides with Jojo's journey of self-discovery. Just like Elsa, Kletzendorf knows who he is but must hide it. Until the end when he arrives with fantastic flair.

D - Plot is the impending war itself and how it is looming closer. With the Nazis losing. There is a slow-burn buildup of this. The Gestapo are also part of this plot. Almost like the build up of a horror creature, they are hinted at and vaguely mentioned in act 1 and 2. That is until we finally meet them at Jojo's doorstep for the surprise visit.

Trusted Member

When I first saw the trailer, I thought it was a brilliant and a fresh take on the Hitler regime. But, it was written and directed by Taika Waititi. Even though Ragnarök was a success, I wasn't a diehard fan of it, it was too irreverent for me. After I read some of the reviews, I was worried that Waititi would ruin a serious subject and make it tedious and painful to watch. But, I was wrong. If I knew it was based on a novel, then I would have more than likely gone to have seen it. For some reason, screenplays adapted from novels are so much richer.

As for the plots, I agree. But, find I it interesting how Frau Betzler role was bolstered greatly from the script. The dinner argument scene where she dresses as her husband and then dances with Jojo is just beautiful. And, her deeply intimate scenes with Elsa in the attic added so much more to the script.

So, yes. A story, I completely agree. The B story is the heart plot I think mostly with Elsa. The C story is as you stated. But, the brilliant aspect of this movie is that those plots are so intimately interwoven that there is no clear distinction. Everything is muddled. 

In addition, the casting of this film is brilliant! Scarlett Johansson is the right mix of playfulness, seriousness, strength and vulnerability. And, Sam Rockwell, well he has to be one of the best of his generation and the most under utilized by Hollywood major studios. But, like so many greats, I am sure he is picky about his projects.

Question, did the additional scenes that were filmed with Frau Betzler improve the script? And, how do you feel about Waititi dropping the underpinning of the father figure? Jojo's dad is not hinted at returning and Jojo never says the line that he has a father to Adolf.

I greatly enjoyed this movie and watched it with my friend who is of Jewish heritage everybody cried. Taika got his weirdness in it but truly made the story great. I know he creates a lot of obscurity in his work. This piece proved he can do it all even with his off-putting voice as a director. 

Page 2 / 2
Share: