Forum

Notifications
Clear all

FLASHBACKS

4 Posts
2 Users
3 Likes
Like a post Ask a question about Screenwriting Create a Post Hollywood Writers & Directors Screenwriting Gurus Screenplay Library Get a like on a post Logline Lab Seminars & Workshops Blog Books Industry interviews Live Streams Script Services
Topic starter
Eminent Member

I've often read that flashbacks are a big no-no in screenwriting. But I've also read that sentiment is a myth and, as long as they propel the story forward, they are okay to use. 

My question is, how many flashbacks are too many flashbacks? I have a scene I'm writing where two flashbacks in quick succession feels necessary to propel the story forward, but I'm hesitant to do that in fear of making the scene appear too choppy. Is there anything else I can do or is this okay if it's a one-time thing in the script?

My other thought is to make it more of a vision-like sequence, where you only see hands and have the characters speaking O.S. 

All advice appreciated!

Topic Tags
3 Replies
Get a like on a post Like a post Create a Post Live Streams Seminars & Workshops TV & Film Analysis Hollywood Writers & Directors Screenwriting Gurus Industry interviews Logline Builder Screenplay Library Podcast high tech, binary numbers, face-185146.jpg Character Database Script Services Books Blog Screenwriting Gigs Logline Lab
20 min Consultation with Geoffrey D. Calhoun 15% off StoryandPlot.com 30% off at Filmustage.com Manager Contact List

Great question! Flashbacks used to be considered cliche but over the past few years, they have come back into style. In my opinion, if Flashbacks are set up early in the script then it's fine to use them. The best way to look at this is that within the first few pages, we are educating the reader/audience on how we will be telling this story. So if we hit them with flashbacks early on in act 1 then it is fine to do so throughout the rest of the script as they now know what to expect. If a flashback comes out of the blue toward the end of a script then it can come off as quite jarring. Possibly consider adding a flashback early on in act 1. Whether it be a quick flash, dream, or even haunting voices "echoes from the past"

I think your instinct is spot on with having two short flashbacks too close together. That can come off as choppy and mess up your pacing. Your idea for a vision-like sequence sounds like an elegant solution.

Like a post Ask a question about Screenwriting Create a Post Hollywood Writers & Directors Screenwriting Gurus Screenplay Library Get a like on a post Logline Lab Seminars & Workshops Blog Books Industry interviews Live Streams Script Services
Topic starter
Eminent Member

Thank you!

1 Reply

Get a like on a post Like a post Create a Post Live Streams Seminars & Workshops TV & Film Analysis Hollywood Writers & Directors Screenwriting Gurus Industry interviews Logline Builder Screenplay Library Podcast high tech, binary numbers, face-185146.jpg Character Database Script Services Books Blog Screenwriting Gigs Logline Lab
20 min Consultation with Geoffrey D. Calhoun 15% off StoryandPlot.com 30% off at Filmustage.com Manager Contact List

Happy to help! Feel free to hit me up on here if you need anything else screenwriting 😉

Share: