Forum

Indie money Vs Cont...

Notifications
Clear all

Indie money Vs Contest recognition

4 Posts
2 Users
4 Likes
Get a like on a post Ask a question about Screenwriting Create a Post Like a post Logline Lab Blog
Topic starter
Trusted Member

So, here’s my conundrum. I’ve noticed a lot of local Independent filmmakers want to make cheap movies and somehow make money on streaming networks. So, do I invest my time in those types of films or should I invest in trying to write screenplays that are well written but bigger budget and go the contest route? 

3 Replies
Get a like on a post Like a post Create a Post Live Streams Seminars & Workshops TV & Film Analysis Hollywood Writers & Directors Screenwriting Gurus Industry interviews Logline Builder Screenplay Library Podcast high tech, binary numbers, face-185146.jpg Character Database Script Services Books Blog Screenwriting Gigs Logline Lab
15% off StoryandPlot.com 30% off at Filmustage.com Manager Contact List

Great question.

Personally, I believe in starting small and growing big. Developing not just your skill but your reputation as a writer with local filmmakers. Work begets work. If you build a network around you with a good reputation as a writer who is great to work with then you will find more opportunities for yourself.  Typically filmmakers like to stick to the same crew especially if they develop a great relationship with them. This can lead to your name being passed around as the 'go to' person. Which is a great feeling.

All of that being said...

I truly believe you should write whatever story that is original and unique to your own voice. Whether that be a big-budget blockbuster or a single-location low-budget indie drama.

Writing and producing indie films and getting them onto streamers is definitely one approach. However, finding distribution gets progressively difficult as streamers begin creating more and more of their own content. On the flip side writing a big-budget script and doing the contest route is also an option. But again we are talking about a small chance that placing even in the biggest of contests can move the needle for you.

In the end, this truly does come down to your own approach from starting small to swinging for the fences. You can find wild successes and failures of any and all types.

For example, some writers are spec-heavy writers. They churn out several scripts a year that they pitch to producers and studios hoping to get heat behind something. Other writers like myself build a network around them and create a reputation that draws in work. They work exclusively on assignments.

Another path I can suggest for spec work is to treat it like a business. Who is your market? This doesn't just mean audience. But also who is the producer, director, or studio you are writing this for? This is important. Once you know that then you write the script and gear it toward them. Whatever you write must be exceptional though. After that it comes down to querying, pitching, or using your network to get it out there in a targetted approach. Not scattershot

Get a like on a post Ask a question about Screenwriting Create a Post Like a post Logline Lab Blog
Topic starter
Trusted Member

Wow! Thanks for the well thought out response. Much appreciated. ❤️ 

1 Reply

Get a like on a post Like a post Create a Post Live Streams Seminars & Workshops TV & Film Analysis Hollywood Writers & Directors Screenwriting Gurus Industry interviews Logline Builder Screenplay Library Podcast high tech, binary numbers, face-185146.jpg Character Database Script Services Books Blog Screenwriting Gigs Logline Lab
15% off StoryandPlot.com 30% off at Filmustage.com Manager Contact List

Anytime. Happy to help!

Share: