Notifications
Clear all

House of The Dragon. Thoughts?

14 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
Admin
Topic starter

Is anyone watching this? What do you think about changing up the leads after 5 episodes?

13 Replies
Trusted Member

I have no issue with changing leads. It makes sense in the timeline.

1 Reply

It has taken me almost 6 episodes before I really started to find myself caring for these characters. I think the switching of actors is why. That being said I find it a unique approach as this hasn't been done before. At least that I know of so I appreciate that they are experimenting with this.

Trusted Member

Honestly, I think it has to do with the way the characters are written and not the age jump. The protagonists aren’t very dynamic. I wish the Rhanerya would have more scenes where we see her strong leadership qualities. Maybe have her training a dragon or learning how to fight or doing something more active than reading histories under a tree. The most interesting character is Queen Alicent. She is the most complex.

I just wish we saw that more in the other would be Queen.

4 Replies

I totally agree. Alicent has a lot of depth to her. I do enjoy the chaotic nature of Daemon. It is entertaining but no depth there. Rhanerya does need a tinge more of development. I can see why you're point of view though since most of her arc so far has been men holding her back as she tries to assert herself. Her best scene so far was her as a young woman at dragonstone avoiding a war to retrieve the egg.

Trusted Member

Agreed. That was episode 1. In comparison, the show The Rings of Power, made Galadriel a headstrong, conflicted, and single minded protagonist that has divided the fandom, but at least they made a commitment to making her very active.

Also, with HoD, they haven’t really explored any of the other families in the kingdom. Now, I know it is a show about the conflicts of this particular family, but the coolest thing about GoT was how all the players interacted and moved across the board. They’ve killed off any potential characters that could have made it a true “chess” game. 
if that makes sense. But, this show is different than Game of Thrones. I can’t have the same expectations.

It makes total sense. The world-building is centered around the Targaryens so the scope seems a bit smaller. My one gripe for me is that HOTD is telling a story that I don't really care about or want to know. Now if they were doing a show about the rise of the Baratheons and Starks against the mad king. That is something I'd get behind because it's the origin story of characters we are already invested in.

Trusted Member

Good point!

I couldn't get into the show, it's just really slow moving, but that's just me. I enjoy the story via YouTube shorts though. I know, I'm lame. 

1 Reply

Lol. It did take me awhile to get into it.

I gave up on it as hard to care for any of the characters and do they have a requirement to have an increasingly violent birth in almost every episode.

Page 1 / 2
Share: